Best Beginner Kayak Reviews and Ultimate Buying Guide to Find The Best Kayak for Beginner
Are you planning to buy your first kayak? We’re here to help you! Below is a list of products and short reviews to help you choose the best kayak for beginners or best beginner kayak. We will also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each kayak presented below. We hope you will make the perfect choice after reading this article.
Types of Kayak for Beginners
The first thing you should do is to choose the type of kayak to buy. Below are three options in choosing the best kayak for beginners like you:
- Inflatable Kayak: This is an excellent introductory kayak for beginners. Paddling will be very easy and comfortable. You don’t want to introduce a long and sleek kayak to a beginner as they are for more experienced enthusiasts. In addition, this type of kayak is very stable and is the best one for recreational use. The reason is that it is easy to store and to carry around. Inflatable kayaks are user-friendly. You can inflate it using your hand, foot or air pump. Because of its simplicity, it is an ideal choice for the best beginner kayak.
- Sit-in Kayak: For this type of kayak, your lower body gets confined inside the cockpit. It is an advantage because it will provide your lower body shelter from the wind. This might be the best type of kayak for you if you wish to stay dry.
- Tandem Kayak: This type of kayak can accommodate two persons at a time. One advantage of having a tandem kayak is that it is the perfect way to spend quality time with someone. Tandem kayaks are the best for beginners who want to kayak with a partner. This is perfect especially for beginners who want to be trained by a more experienced kayaker. Another advantage is that it costs less than buying two 1-person kayaks
Choosing the Best Beginner Kayak
Choosing your first kayak is not an easy task. Consider the things mentioned below when buying your first kayak.
- Safety: For beginners, safety is very important in choosing your first kayak. You have to choose one that is stable. This is important because as a beginner, you do not want to fall into the water that easily. For beginners, it is best to choose one made of plastic or fiberglass because they are lightweight and low maintenance.
- Easy to use: You are a beginner and you don’t know much about kayaking. The kayak you should buy should not only be safe, it should also be easy to use. You have to choose a kayak that is designed for comfort and doesn’t require much kayaking knowledge. To add, a perfect kayak for beginners would be the one you can store easily after using.
- Easy to transport: Another factor to consider in buying your first kayak would be its ease to transport. As a beginner, you do not want to spend the whole time troubling yourself with transporting your kayak. You most likely would want to have more time on the water because you want to learn. You have to choose one that is lightweight.
Top 5 experienced rated best kayak for beginners
Review of Top 5 Best Kayak for Beginners
Still not sure on what to pick? Below is a list of the top options for best kayak for beginners that are available in the market now. We will review some of them so you can evaluate them better.
1. Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
- Tough, firm and easily maneuverable
- Can accommodate up to two people
- Easy to carry and store
- It does not come with paddles and air pump
- Rod holders may get in your way
If you are looking for a 2-Person inflatable kayak, then this might be an option you might want to consider. This kayak is perfect for beginners who want to be trained by a more experienced kayaker. Think about how convenient it is to have your trainer in the kayak with you. You can have first-hand kayak training without being totally alone. The adjustable seats is an advantage as you will not feel crowded while you are in it. Although it is 2 person kayak but it will also work well even if you are alone.
This kayak also has a feature that can come in handy if you are on a fishing trip. The Sevylor Coleman Colorado has rod holders, which you can adjust for hands-free fishing. If you’re a beginner and also want to learn how to fish, this might be the best kayak for you. This kayak also comes with paddle holders that secure your paddles. One of common problems of beginning kayaker is dropping paddles.
Another advantage is that this kayak has carry handles that lets you carry it in and out of the water with ease. This kayak also has multiple air chambers that allow your kayak to stay inflated if one air chamber is damaged. This is another important feature for those who are just new to kayaking.
2. Sevylor Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak - Best kayak for beginners
- It comes with paddles and hand air pump
- Has a backrest and multiple position foot rest
- It has carry handles that make way for easier handling in and out of the water
- Paddles might be a bit small
- Space is a bit limited
As a beginner, you might want to choose a kayak that offers both comfort and ease of use. This kayak might be perfect for you if you are looking for an inflatable 1-person kayak. Unlike other inflatable kayaks, the Sevylor Quikpak K1 is surprisingly comfortable. It has a smart design that makes it easy for you to stretch your legs and not get stiff.
One advantage is that this kayak has valves that you can use for easy inflation and deflation. It also comes with a cup holder that is within your reach. Setting up this kayak only takes five minutes, which means you get to spend more time on the water.
3. Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 Sit-in Kayak
- Durable and stable
- Easy to transport
- Has carrying handles and bottle holder
- Best used on flat water only
- Limited storage space
This type of kayak is a great one not only for beginners but also for all kayak enthusiasts. It offers seats that you can adjust. It is equipped with high back support and adjustable foot braces, making sure you will feel comfortable as you learn to kayak.
Because of its material, which is polyethylene, it’s assured that this kayak is durable. Dents can occur but very easy to repair. Weighing only 40 pounds, the Sun Dolphin Aruba proves to be easier to transport than others. Comfort and ease of transport are important factors when choosing a kayak for beginners.
4. Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak
- Easy to maneuver
- Easy to store
- No back support
- Might take in water
If you’re looking for a kayak to introduce to your kids, this might be your best option. Weighing only 18 pounds, the Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak is easy to transport. It is also effortless to use. This kayak also has multiple footrest positions that can cater to different users.
One feature that makes this kayak stand out from the rest is this comes with UV protection. Ultraviolet radiation can damage the surfaces of your kayak that’s why UV protection is important. Even after mastering the basic techniques, you can be sure that it will remain in its tip-top shape.
5. Intex Challenger K1 Kayak 1-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump
- Safe for children
- Less expensive
- Resistant to fading
- Easy to store and transport
- Paddle is not of great quality
- Not for rough waters
The Intex Challenger K1 Kayak is ideal for beginners because it is small, which means that it is portable. You can easily bring it with you and there is no need to exert a lot of effort. Another thing that makes it perfect for beginners is that it is easy to maneuver. You can easily shift from one direction to another, even if you only know basic paddling skills. This one also comes with an adjustable seat that is easy to relocate.
This kayak has a surprisingly large storage space, which can accommodate up to 220 pounds. It comes with a hand pump and deflate valves that allow fast deflation.
The list of top rated best kayak for beginners
(W x L)
|Coleman Quikpak(TM) K1 Kayak||Sit-On-Top||30" x 103"||350||1-Person|
|Coleman Colorado(TM) Fishing Kayak||Sit-Inside||19.2" x 30.1"||470||2-Person|
|Lifetime Youth Wave Kayak||Sit-On-Top||24" x 72"||130||1-Person|
|Intex Challenger K1 Inflatable Kayak||Sit-Inside||30" x 108"||220||1-Person|
|Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Heron Junior Kids Kayak||Sit-Inside||25" x 89"||115||1-Person|
|Sun Dolphin Aruba SS 10-Foot Sit-in Kayak||Sit-Inside||30" x 120"||250||1-Person|
|Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak||Sit-On-Top||30" x 120"||250||1-Person|
|Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak||Sit-On-Top||31" x 108"||325||1-Person|
|Emotion Glide Sport Kayaks||Sit-Inside||31.8" x 116"||275||1-Person|
|Emotion Spitfire Sit on Top Kayak||Sit-On-Top||31.5" x 96"||240||1-Person|
Tips for Taking Care of your First Kayak
No matter how much you take care of your new kayak, it is impossible for it to last years without a scratch. With this, it is very important to do occasional maintenance on your kayak. To keep your kayak in its perfect state, the following is a list of tips to maintain your kayak.
- Clean it Regularly: It is a known fact that rivers, as well as lakes, are dirty and polluted. When you go for a fishing trip, it is possible that you are carrying a lot of germs at home. It is ideal to clean your kayak with mild soap and water after every trip. You need to get rid of the bacteria you picked up because it may get in contact with your loved ones.
- Keep it Indoors: Kayaks left outside in the sun will show more damage than those that are not. Exposure to ultraviolet radiation will make your kayak lose their color. You should store your boat away from the sun, as these damages can be permanent.
- Store it Properly: Deformation can occur if you do not store your kayak properly. Keep it away from the sun and store it in a safe place. You must make sure that your kayak is stored properly and there’s no pressure on the material.
Based on the best kayak for beginners review above, you’d think that all of them could be an excellent choice. But if you would ask me, I will personally recommend the Sevylor Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak. This kayak is perfect for beginners, in my opinion, because comfort while paddling is important. While other kayaks offer that too, the Sevylor Quikpak K1 proves that it’s the easiest to assemble and deflate. Your first kayak experience will be worthwhile.
Read more Kayak Review and Comparison